It’s not really soup weather yet but these ingredients are so seasonal, so easily available to us here in Turkey right now, I think you simply must try this truly delectable soup.
Not only the vibrant red but the wonderful aroma of those red peppers and tomatoes roasting away in the oven lend a spring to your step – and a corresponding spring in the appetites of your nearest and dearest! I wish you were in my kitchen right now!
- Pre-heat the grill of your oven.
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper and place the halved tomatoes cut side up and the red peppers. Don’t place the tray too near the grill. Grill until the peppers start to blacken and the skin of the tomatoes starts to split. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- When cool, peel both the tomatoes and the red peppers and roughly chop. Place in a saucepan along with the tomato or red pepper paste, the cornstarch, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Using a hand blender, mix to a purée consistency. Add the stock or water and gently bring to a boil. Add the bulgur at that point and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring all along.
- As with most soups, the taste develops and the soup thickens if it sits for a while.
- To serve, a swirl of cream or plain yogurt makes an attractive garnish.