Making this Pear and Cardamom Tart was an easy decision once I bit into these more-than-remarkable pears.
However, actually cooking it required a technician! A Beko oven specialist.
Not only did I think that it had been a long, hot summer, my appliances did too. My oven decided to spit the dummy and went on strike and the car thought it would follow suit. I’m not overly impressed but am pushing on like a warrior.
Dropping the car into the Sanayii (industrial zone) for its 3-day sojourn, the kind mechanic told me I could whip into the market before he drove me home. As we live 20km out of town, with no immediate shops around, I needed to stock up if we were to be immobile for half a week or so.
FAREWELL TO SUMMER FRUITS…NO FRETTING. LOVELY FRUITS TO FOLLOW
With all the juicy summer fruits still heaped up in perfumed mountains, apples and pears hardly get a look in. However, I passed a stall with the most fabulous looking pears so I just had to stop and buy a few kilos. I was not let down at all.
I can highly recommend these late summer/early autumn pears and will definitely be buying more next market day. Pears are in season from late summer through to winter, so there’s no excuse to miss them.
I could not put off making the Pear and Cardamom Tart any longer and now that I finally did, I wonder why it took me so long.
It’s incredibly simple and sooooo delicious.
- 4 or 5 medium pears, peeled, quartered, cored
- 100g butter
- 80 g sugar
- 2 eggs
- 100g flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 25 to 30cm pie or flan tin, greased
- icing sugar
- Slice each pear quarter into 3 slices
- Lay the pear slices in a single layer round the greased tin
- Cream together the butter and sugar
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing in between
- Add the flour and baking powder, mix
- Add the salt and cardamom
- Pour the batter over the pears and smooth out
- Bake in 180C for 20 to 30 minutes depending on tin size.
- Test with skewer
- Once cooled, sprinkle with icing sugar if desired, serve with cream or ice cream.