Do you see how stained and tattered this recipe is? Here it is, in the unmistakable handwriting of dear old friend MK. But the recipe is attributed to Pat Fesçi who was undoubtedly one of the original Old Hands on the Ankara scene. I didn’t actually know her but I bet she was one of those invincible American women who were so up for everything in those bygone days.
|this is not a pretentious cake: it is what it is: light, simple but totally delicious!|
- Grease and flour a 13 x 9 in pan (I used a 11 x 5 in non-stick loaf tin which was perfect).
- Pre-heat oven to 180C/350F.
- Squeeze orange and save juice.
- Grind orange rind, raisins and 1/3 cup walnuts in blender (you can divide them and do in two batches)..
- Combine flour with 1 cup sugar, soda, salt. Add shortening and milk and mix at low speed for 1½ min.
- Add eggs and beat 1½ min more.
- Stir in orange, raisins and walnuts.
|like this …|
- Bake 40-50 mins.
- As soon as it come out of the oven, dribble the orange juice over the top of the cake.
- Combine 1/3 cup sugar, cinnamon and 1/4 cup ground walnuts and spread over cake.
|orange kiss-me-cake, ready to serve|